AEDC at 75: Report recommendations and site selection bring Complex closer to fruition

Pictured is one of the ground towers at Camp Forrest. On April 28, 1948, Camp Forrest, located near Tullahoma, Tenn., was named as the site for the Air Force’s new Air Engineering Development Center, which would later come to be known as Arnold Engineering Development Complex. Camp Forrest was one of the Army’s largest training bases during World War II and was an active Army post between 1941 and 1946. The site officially became a prisoner of war camp in May 1942, housing Italian and German POWs. By 1946, World War II had ended, and Camp Forrest and the nearby William Northern Field, an air training base, were declared surplus property. (U.S. Air Force photo)

PHOTO BY: U.S. Air Force photo
VIRIN: 260305-F-F3405-1005.JPG
FULL SIZE: 0.77 MB
Additional Details

CAMERA

N/A

LENS

N/A

APERTURE

N/A

SHUTTERSPEED

N/A

ISO

N/A

IMAGE IS PUBLIC DOMAIN

Read More

This photograph is considered public domain and has been cleared for release. If you would like to republish please give the photographer appropriate credit. Further, any commercial or non-commercial use of this photograph or any other DoD image must be made in compliance with guidance found at https://www.dimoc.mil/resources/limitations, which pertains to intellectual property restrictions (e.g., copyright and trademark, including the use of official emblems, insignia, names and slogans), warnings regarding use of images of identifiable personnel, appearance of endorsement, and related matters.